My first enamordo...

8-8-10

Ay dios.

In the DR, men here have a very funny way of telling you they like you. As you walk down the street you can hear millions of "piropos" or cat calls saying Pssst… to get your attention at volumes so high you think theyre letting air out of their moto tires. Most of the time I never look because I think thats ridiculously rude and annoying but when you hear the millionth Pssst, you finally turn your head their way to end their struggle and they just smile, wave or say something like "Tu eres buena" which translates as "You are good." Thanks, you needed to get my attention to tell me I am good and you think by hissing at me I will be attracted to you? Ridiculous. Just thinking that dominican women find this sort of thing attractive is beyond me.

So in my new neighborhood there is a guy who just confessed to me today that he is "enamordo" with me. I have lived at my place a week now. He said it was love at first sight and that every time he sees me his heart flutters and he gets really happy. Barf. I did the mistake of giving him my phone number so now this dude calls me about 12 times a day to see if I've eaten or where I am going to be during the day. Yikes. For the DR being such a machismo country, I see that dominican men can be head over heels for a "good" woman. It's ridiculous to fall in love with someone in a week and I am sure he tells this to every girl he thinks he can get. It's just funny to experience the adoration from a dominican man. 

To be honest I don't see myself dating a dominican but I say this because I have yet to find a dominican with honest intentions. Usually they want you to "llevar" them pa'lla. Which means bring them to the US. Don't get me wrong I like latin men but not if he is going to be a tiguere trying to get a ticket to the US or the honor of bagging the americana. I just don't seem to be interested in men in this culture. Maybe after a while things will change. There are lots of PC volunteers here that end up staying in the DR or getting married to a dominican because they fall in love, so maybe I will join the statistic? 

Doubt it.

Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "My first enamordo..."

  1. Unknown, on August 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM said:

    omg!!! i just read this!!! LOL! well i know that feeling, when i use to visit my family in Mexico when i was barely even a teenager, i used to get the "ch,ch,ch,ch" all the time...it is very annoying! but be careful Bri, dont just give out your number to any guy out there, he's gonna run out you phone bill! lol... is ur enamorado even cute?

  2. Bri, on August 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM said:

    no! not cute, and un necio! duran out of all my friends ur the one that really needs to visit! you understand everything!

Post a Comment