Carros Publicos and Guaguas, dios mío!

3/8/10 - 10:00pm

So today was the first day using the transportation. After an entire morning warning us of all the possibilities of rape, theft and assaults, I would say I was pretty much terrified to start the lesson on public transportation. Who wouldn't be?! Well, it wasn't as bad as it was described. I was pretty close to the profesora, haha, but I did manage to tell the "chauffeur" to drop us off at the school on the way back. (Like thats really an accomplishment!) So i am still nervous about getting around. I guess we will be practicing more and more for the reminder of the week, which I hope to master soon because I want to go travel more often!

Also, another surprise at school was my placement in the language classes, I am in the highest class along with 4 other individuals. Wow! It is absolutely RIDICULOUS. The class pretty much is set up for open discussion of politics, theories and debates. OMG. I know nothing about these things! So pretty much when we talk I am in the corner just looking around wide-eyed. Then when it comes to me, I get so tongue-tied they feel bad for me and skip me! Ha. I actually felt bad today, I was pretty embarrassed. It was the first time I felt kind of crappy yet. So I definitely feel like in order to be able to participate in class I have to get "smarter." Maybe by the end of training, I will be keen on politics and philosophy and government issues? I am so screwed.

After the horror of class I got to hang out with some more volunteers out of school at a local colmado and had a refreshing drink. They had beer, I had a V-8. Haha. I am not ready to try a beer and be looked at in my neighborhood as a "drunk" because I am a girl. Maybe later I may try the famous "Presidente" beer. The place was actually kind of cool so it may be a hangout because it was so friendly. It's also interesting how cheap and accessible the beer is here. Pretty much on every corner there is a "colmado" which is a liquor store and the 33 ounce beer other volunteers bought today cost roughly $3. Cheap. I've even seen young kids purchasing rum! I asked and they said there is a supposed drinking age of 18 but no one follows it. Very interesting.

I also got to play a couple of jump rope games with the kids in my neighborhood. Very fun. It gets pretty boring during the day and the kids definitely provide a lot of enjoyment. They always want the "Americana" to play. Haha. 

Read Users' Comments (6)

6 Response to "Carros Publicos and Guaguas, dios mío!"

  1. The author, on March 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM said:

    Good stuff! post some of photos when you can.

  2. Unknown, on March 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM said:

    It's so nice to read about what you're doing. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself and learning a lot. This is an amazing experience. I miss you. Best of luck!

  3. Tom Forbes, on March 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM said:

    One of the things I regreted during training was not getting out more. Don't let the transportattion issues stop you. It will be nice when you actually get to ride in a private car. If your Spanish is decent, you will have no problem except for the time spent waiting and riding. Remember, unless you are on Caribe Tours or Metro, there is no schedule. They leave when they are full. Really full.

    Also, the clamato or V8 is good when mixed with Presidente.

  4. Francis, on March 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM said:

    Glad you're doing well. Miss You lots. Happy that you're family is treating you nice. Did you tell them how many brothers and sisters you really have? HA HA!Take Care and Emma misses you alot already. Asks for you constantly.Love You Sis.

  5. Anonymous, on March 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM said:

    It's really nice to be able able to read about your expiences. You need to post some pictures. Well I miss ya already but I am so proud of you. Can't wait to hear about your next adventure.

  6. Unknown, on March 10, 2010 at 7:26 PM said:

    So happy for you! Love you miss you! Can't wait to here more

Post a Comment