Day 3: First Day off

3/7/10 - 11:04pm

Today there was a supposed festival called "Carnaval" going on about an hour away from here. I was pretty bummed that I did not go but I guess that isn't something my family is used to doing. Boo. So instead I stayed home and hung out with other volunteers and played Dominoes. I beat the volunteers pretty good but then they left and I played the Dominican locals and got my butt whooped. Haha. I did win twice but it was really by default. So I definitely have to work on my Domino skills. Tomorrow we return to school at 8am. I am very excited to see everyone to see if they actually got to go to Carnaval and to hear more funny stories of communication errors and disasters. I am wondering if I can actually try and cook something for my host family next week. I don't know much but I want to be able to share something with my family about my culture, I just don't know where I will find a store that has all the stuff I need. 

One thing I am disappointed about the DR is the lack of spices and chile in all the dishes. Everyone looks at me so crazy because I tell them I love peppers and hot stuff. I have yet to taste anything even remotely spicy. Bummer. 

I also hope to post pictures of my home and the training center soon. You won't believe how gorgeous the training center is and how particularly similar my host home is to my real home. Everyone here is tripping out on all the Jesus and God portraits but that stuff is very custom and normal in my home in the states. I plan on bringing out my camera more often, I just don't want to lose it or have other people think I am showing off. This week I will play photographer!

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "Day 3: First Day off"

  1. Unknown, on March 9, 2010 at 8:59 AM said:

    I wonder what they would think of dinos?? hahaha

Post a Comment