Day 2: My Doña and entrance to the new family!

3/7/10 - 12:20am

Crazy! You wouldn't believe how inviting my new family was when I went to meet them for the first time. My Doña pretty much pointed to herself and said "mama" then pointed to her husband and said "papa" then to their daughter and said "hermana". And done I was one of their daughters as well. The dominican people have been so nice and welcoming, it's been so much easier to fit in to their society. My spanish now has improved ten-fold because of my need to communicate with my family and I am very happy because I am around the block from school and can walk everyday. Sweet! (I also am thinking about getting a bicycle but sadly the streets are not paved very well so I know I would probably get lots of flat tires and my bestie never showed me how to change a tire. Drats! I still plan on getting one in the future!)

So, my diet since I have been here has been pretty good with the expected traditional foods. My first night with my family, they made me plantains (of course) and the second night potatoes with cheese on top. Nothing too out of the ordinary and everything so far has been delicious. Not to mention the food at school is absolutely scrumptious! The cooks really know how to make my comfort foods of beans, cucumbers and rice. Mmmmmmm! But I have yet to try the main dish, Sancocho, hopefully soon! And I have already asked my hermana if she can take me to find some authentic mexican food. ha ha. I told her I want tortillas and beans and cheese! :)

This weekend will actually be my first weekend here and also my first day off. I need to spend more and more of my time making friends and getting familiar with the community in order to get what they call "confianza" and be looked at as a reliable community member and friend. So far I have been hanging out with my "hermana" and she has been taking me around everywhere introducing me to new people and showing me different areas of the neighborhood. The names of the people here are pretty common its just figuring out what they're saying that is tricky. (Sidenote for Veronica: There are 2 sisters here that remind me of the girls! One is named Vanessa and the other Melissa, can you believe it? I don't think I will ever forget their names!)

I am very lucky that my family actually own a "colmado" or a small store where I can purchase all the items I need like food, water, soap, calling cards, anything! And most of the time my family is tending to the store so I have a lot of privacy time when I go inside the house to do whatever I want from watch cable television, or eat or take a nap. The other night I watched a bit of "The Mask" with Jim Carrey in spanish. Funny! I am trying to make my hermana take me to the movies to watch "Alicia en el mundo de maravillosas" or Alice in Wonderland. How awesome would it be to see that movie in spanish! I am so ready! And I bet you didn't think it was playing over here! (Cause I didn't think it would be!)

Sadly it's been raining a lot lately in the DR and everyone swears its cold but its like 78 degrees. I am seriously walking around in a dress, sandals and umbrella and I'm fine. I've also got over my sickness in case anyone was wondering. Today I actually also got to hang out with some other PC volunteers in my neighborhood and got to meet their Doñas and see their houses. It's a lot of fun to compare. And now that I know where the rest of the volunteers live, I will probably be visiting them more often just to pass the time and see the rest of the pueblo.

It's funny, last night I was looking at the pictures on my ipod and I was thinking wow, I really miss everyone. All my friends, family, I actually got a tear to my eye because I haven't really got a chance to talk to them or call home. (No Internet). But I am glad I haven't got that chance at the same time because I am having so much fun and I really think I am becoming a new person. Not completely changed or better or worse but different. I feel so much more cultured, more knowledgeable and not as shy as I once was before. I am really glad I made this decision to come to the DR and I wouldn't change it for the world right now. (I say this now, don't catch me on a bad day! :) I hope you all are happy to hear me say that and I hope I can influence some of you to try it. I never in 1000 years would have thought that I would be in a foreign country living with a family trying to understand their world. It really is something special to be a part of and something great to add to your personal resume. This is only my 3rd day mind you, and I already feel blessed. I can handle the situation I am in now with my family and friends nearby, now PC must prepare me to work alone which I am terrified about! But I know I can do it!

As far as school goes, today we received our medical kits and went over other medical procedures and stuff to watch out for. I think PC is really doing a good job of preparing us and literally "walking" us through every single scenario and possibility. Next week we visit actual volunteers in their fields and see how they are doing. Can't wait!

P.S. Random but cool! My neighbor across the street graduated with a degree in graphic design! I actually got to see some of his portfolio tonight and it was really good stuff! I told him I would show him my stuff tomorrow. So hopefully he is equally impressed! 

Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "Day 2: My Doña and entrance to the new family!"

  1. Unknown, on March 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM said:

    I saw Alice in Wonderland at midnight last week, and it was awesome! I'm SO gald your family is nice, and I'm sooo happy for you!!

  2. Anonymous, on March 10, 2010 at 12:04 AM said:

    I am so happy an proud of you. I'm glad all is going well so far.

Post a Comment