King of Roaches and Motoconchos and Mazitos

3/16/10 - 10:26pm

Today I saw the most enormous cockroach I have ever seen in my entire life. It was in comparison to a small rodent with teeth, wings and a head that can move 360 degrees. I was a little ashamed that I had to call my 17 year old hermana to kill the bug, but I figured she had a bit more experience wrangling these mutants. It was huge!!

Today we also received our helmets for our motoconcho rides, which I am excited for. The helmet is kind of big so I am bummed but I can;t wait to get my real helmet so I can decorate it with a flaming virgin mary wearing ray bans on a harley. haha just kidding.

Everyday is seemingly getting hotter than the next. I am really contemplating how I can survive this when I am here in August. Everything I do, I am drenched in sweat, this is so bad. Also, I weighed myself and no change. I thought I may have gained weight because I was eating so much starch but I am still the same. I hope I lose weight while I am here! But I really can't resist fried plantains and these small breads called "mazitos", they're delicious!!! So losing weight may be a slow process. :) 

I've decided that I am not going to kill myself or waste a lot of money trying to get online all the time from now on. We all used to get free internet from school but now they are bogarting the connection so now I have to go to Internet cafes which isn't that expensive but can be on a daily basis and is kind of a hassle. So I decided I would have Internet afternoons like every Monday and Thursday to set up time for the Internet. This week I won't be able to log on until after I get back from shadowing a current PCV so Monday will be the next time I will be on, so watch out for me!


Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "King of Roaches and Motoconchos and Mazitos"

  1. Unknown, on March 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM said:

    I miss you. I hope you don't feel forgotten at all. I didn't want to read your blog because I knew it would make me miss you more. It would remind me of how really gone you are... I'm so happy that you're having fun and learning so many new things about the DR and yourself. It's always great to be out and doing something completely independent and totally yours. Laura did the Bike and Build and you're doing the Peace Corps. Totally Awesome! I love you.

  2. Unknown, on March 29, 2010 at 1:24 PM said:

    i got you on FB today! yay!

Post a Comment