DAY 1: I finally arrive in the DR!

3/4/10 5:34

Finally! I arrive in the DR after a long day at the airport. We had a layover in Miami and arrived in the afternoon just in time to feel the hot humid air die down. Literally when I left the airport the wetness hit me like a wave. I was suddenly sweating like I had smuggled in some high class imports. Really, it was so crazy how wet I got so fast. We all piled onto our vans and were off to our place to stay for the night where we were welcomed by the Dominican country director and the rest of the staff. They were all so nice and took so many pictures of us commenting on how scared we looked. Ha.

Oh no, the mosquitos are coming!

Haha. No seriously, the mosquitos are coming every night with dengue and malaria! I am sitting in my room with a mosquito net over my bed tucked into every crevice and hung up to the smallest hooks I could find in the room. I took pictures, you shall see them soon! A nice young local named Juan gave us a tutorial about how to set up the mosquito nets and I guess this is going to be a regular thing for us in order to fight off diseases, PC says it is MANDATORY! That sounds serious.. :)

Other stuff that happened today was a rabies shot. OUCH! More training and some yummy dominican food. Stuff to come include meeting the new fam tomorrow (so nervous!) then going to more training and a spanish test to see where I fall with my language. Yikes, wish me luck home supporters!

So far I have not seen much of the country other than the crazy roads but I think this will definitely be a great experience. I am learning so many new things already.

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "DAY 1: I finally arrive in the DR!"

  1. Unknown, on March 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM said:

    I looked at your pictures on fb before I read this, and I almost commented on your bed, and it's mosquito net. I thought it was funny, but now that I learn there are mosquitos with diseases.. not so funny!

    -Dohy (I don't know if you can tell who it is??)

Post a Comment