Downtown Santo Domingo, History and Smelly Sabrina

3/10/10 - 7:30pm

Today was pretty eventful because I got to travel into the city of Santo Domingo and see some of the historical sites. We went to the Parque Independencia, to el Parque Colon and I got to see the first cathedral ever built in the Americas. For those of you that don't know, the Dominican Republic, specifically Santo Domingo was the first place Christopher Columbus found on his expedition to the Americas. There was plenty of monuments and museums that we visited to learn about the history of this great island. I enjoyed walking around the city even though by the end of the day I smelled horrible and my feet were dragging themselves from walking so much. We got to practice using the "guaguas", used carro publicos and we actually got to use the Metro system here which was highly impressive. It is still new which explains why it was so clean and practically empty but it was a nice treat from the crazy transportation above ground. I also got to see the Dominican "white house" which is funny because I was in DC before the DR and I din't even go see the white house of the US. Shows how involved in politics I am!

As soon as I got home I was dead tired. I fell asleep at the table at dinner! Good thing my familia always lets me eat alone. Ha. It is starting to get very hot here now. Everyday I shower and I am even contemplating showering twice a day. Apparently the DR folks usually take 3 showers a day. You can guess how hot it is! And mind you, in my house there is no warm water. At first this bothered me a bit and I had to do the amazing back bend to ease myself into the water but now the water is the least of my worries. Well at least not the temperature. There is still giardia I have to worry about that lives in the water. Giardia is a bacteria or something that lives in the water here. Apparently you know when you have giardia when you are vomiting and pooping at the same time. Haha. Also they said it has traits of people burping up the smell of sulfur! Que horible! I remember when Laura and Elaine took me to the spa, (I forgot the name of it) and I remember the sulfur spas and I thought it smelled disgusting to be bathing in! I may be off on this, please let me know the name of those baths we took Laura!

Anyway, while brushing my teeth I avoid giardia by spitting out not only once but 3 times. It is recommended. :) Also tonight I took my malaria pills which are DISGUSTING! Those who know me know that I can't take pills. I am still on chewable tylenol! So these malaria pills are death because they are chalky and disgusting. I absolutely hate taking them and we have to take 2 a week. Bleh! Maybe now that will force myself to learn to take pills like a grown up. :)

I have taken many pictures of all my excursions so far. It is just taking me a while to find enough internet connection to upload them so be patient! 

Read Users' Comments (3)

3 Response to "Downtown Santo Domingo, History and Smelly Sabrina"

  1. Unknown, on March 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM said:

    Lol. You really need to learn how to take pills! I'm so happy your doing this blog!

  2. Laura, on March 13, 2010 at 7:09 PM said:

    We went to Glen Ivy Hot Springs Spa and the spas that smelt like sulfur were the mineral baths. lol. Im surprised you remembered that. Stay away from giardia cause if I remember right you hated that smell.

  3. Anonymous, on March 15, 2010 at 4:28 AM said:

    Chewable tylenol... Lol... That's funny. It's nice to read about your adventures. It gibes me something to enjoy on my long nights at work. Can't wait to see pictures. So you said that there isn't really Internet connection. In your house? Or everywhere?

Post a Comment